This Salted Caramel Cake is the perfect cake for all occasions. The caramel shines through in both the light and tender sponge and airy buttercream. It's divine!
1. Make the caramel sauce. Dissolve sugar in a saucepan until it turns golden brown. Add in butter and then cream and heat until it thickens. Add vanilla bean paste and flaked salt.
2. Make the sponge cake. Cream the butter, white sugar and light brown sugar together until creamy.
3. Add the eggs in one at a time, mixing well. Then add the caramel sauce and vanilla and beat until combined.
4. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and mix until just combined.
Divide batter equally between two 7 inch cake pans and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
6. Make buttercream whilst the cakes cool. Beat butter until creamy and pale. Add in powdered icing sugar and beat for 3 minutes. Add in caramel sauce and beat again.
7. Assemble cake by adding half the buttercream onto one cake and spread over. Place second cake and cover in buttercream. Drizzle over remaining caramel and decorate in sliced figs.