Tender, flakey, crumbly cookie with a melt-in-your-mouth texture. Shortbread Cookies are a traditional cookie classic.
1. In an electric stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until pale. Then add in the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
2. Sift in the flour and salt into the mixer beat until the dough just starts to come together.
3. You will know it's mixed together as the dough will clean the sides of the bowl and clump together.
4. Use your hands to clump the dough together and then to form it into a disc.
5. On a floured surface, roll out the dough into an even layer until its a 1/4 inch thick.
6. Using a cookie cutter, stamp out rounds and place them on a lined baking tray. Re-roll scraps and stamp out more rounds.
7. Use the tines of a fork to prick holes into each cookie.
8. Refrigerate cookies for 30 minutes minimum until cookies have hardened. Bake for 10-12 minutes until just starting to turn golden around the edges.
9. Remove from the oven and leave on the tray- sprinkle with sugar over the top and leave to cool.