A light and tender sponge infused with earl grey tea is then topped with a tangy lemon cream cheese frosting. An ode to the English Afternoon Tea.
1. In a small saucepan, add the milk and one teabag and bring to a very gently simmer. Remove from the heat, stir the teabag and set aside to steep.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, using hand-held electric beaters, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the yolk in and mix until comined.
3. Add in flour, baking powder, salt and the contents of one ground earl grey tea bag and mix to combine. Remove the tea bag from the steeped milk and add the milk to the batter. Mix until combined.
4. Divide the batter evenly into the cupcake cases. Bake for 18 minutes until the centre of the sponges springs back.
5. Make the frosting by whipping powdered sugar, butter and cream cheese together until thickened. Add in lemon juice to reach desired consistency. Spoon or pipe onto cupcakes.
Enjoy! Head to www.emmaduckworthbakes for more delicious dessert recipes.