Buttery, flakey pastry encases a smooth, silky caramel filling. Topped with whipped cream and chopped pecans, its the perfect old-fashioned pie you'll love.
INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED
1. Add the flour, salt and butter to a bowl and toss until the butter is coated in flour. Rub together until the butter is the size of large peas. Stream in half the water and toss until the dough starts to clump. Don't add all the water at once.
2. Bring the dough together with your hands in the bowl, adding water, a teaspoon at a time, as you need it. Bring dough into a disc and wrap well in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour minimum.
Crimp edges of the pie, line with parchment paper and fill with pie weights, then bake for 15 minutes, remove the beans and paper, brush with egg white and then continue to bake until golden brown.
3. Roll out dough to 12in in diameter, place in pie pan and press into base, trim edges.
4. Add pie filling ingredients into a saucepan and whisk whilst heating until it thickens.
5. Add sugar and water to a saucepan and heat until sugar dissolves and liquid turns golden. Pour into pastry cream and mix.
6. Pour into pastry cream and mix. Pour into cooled pie crust and refrigerate for 4 hours. Decorate with cream and pecans, then serve,