Sweet short crust pastry tart shell filled with fennel infused caramel and sliced apples. Baked to perfection, this a perfect twist on the classic.
1. Make the sweet shortcrust pastry. Sift into a bowl the flour, powdered icing sugar and salt. Add in the cubbed, cold butter and toss in the flour. Use your fingers to rub the butter into the flour mix.
2. Add in the the sugar and mix through. Then add the water a little bit at a time, bringing the dough together as you go. Add a touch more water if it feels dry.
3. Tip out the dough onto a floured surface and bring it together with your hands. Knead just a couple of times and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Divide dough into 6 pieces. Roll each piece out and place in the tart tin so that it overhangs the sides. Press into the side of the tin and trim the edges. Dock the base with a fork.
5. Line with parchment paper and baking beans and bake at 180C (350F) for 10 minutes. Remove paper and baking beans and bake for a further 10-15 minutes until golden.
6. Make caramel sauce. Add ground fennel, vanilla extract and flaked salt.
7. Fill tart base with fennel caramel.
8. Add apple slices into mixing bowl and toss with lemon juice.
8. Place apple slices over the caramel and bake for 45 minutes.