Traditional French Cake made to mark Epiphany in January, Sweet frangipane almond cream is encased in a crisp buttery puff pastry resulting in a simple, delicious treat.
1. Cut the pastry block into two. Using a round plate or cake pan base, cut a 10-inch disc from each piece of dough. Refrigerate both on parchment paper.
2. Make frangipane: beat butter, sugar and zest until pale. Add eggs and mix. Add almond meal and salt and beat till combined.
3. Add almond cream into a piping bag.
4. Pipe cream onto one of the pastry discs leaving a 1-inch border around the edge.
5. Whisk egg with water and brush egg wash around the edge, Place second disc over the top of the almond cream and press shut and scallop edges.
6. Refrigerate for 20 minutes then egg wash top and score a design on the pastry,
7. Bake until the pastry is crisp and golden.