Sweet short crust pastry tart shell filled with earl grey infused custard and topped with a signature sugar crunch topping.
1. Make the sweet shortcrust pastry. Sift into a bowl the flour, powdered icing sugar and salt. Add in the cubbed, cold butter and toss in the flour. Use your fingers to rub the butter into the flour mix.
2. Add in the the sugar and mix through. Then add the water a little bit at a time, bringing the dough together as you go. Add a touch more water if it feels dry.
3. Tip out the dough onto a floured surface and bring it together with your hands. Knead just a couple of times and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Roll dough out and place in the tart tin so that it overhangs the sides. Press into the side of the tin and trim the edges. Dock the base with a fork.
5. Line with parchment paper and baking beans and bake at 180C (350F) for 10 minutes. Remove paper and baking beans and bake for a further 10-15 minutes until golden.
6.Infuse tea bags in cream and bring to a simmer in saucepan.
7. Whip eggs and sugar together then pour earl grey cream into mixture and whisk together.
8. Pour custard into par baked tart case on oven wrack and back.
Remove tart from oven, sprinkle over sugar and blowtorch until sugar melts. Leave to cool and the caramel top to harden. Than serve.