This luxurious smooth chocolate gelato is everything a chocaholic could dream of. Rick, decadent and luxuriously silky - this traditional gelato is amazing.
1. Heat cream, milk and vanilla pod in saucepan until just bubbling around the edges.
2. In a separate glass bowl, whisk sugar and egg yolks until pale and thickened. Sift cocoa powder and add a couple of tablespoons of warmed milk and whisk until combined.
3. Whilst whisking continuously pour the warmed milk into the bowl. This tempers the eggs and combines the two mixtures slowly.
4. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and on low heat whisk constantly until thickened.
5. Add chocolate to a bowl and pass the custard through a fine-mesh sieve. Let stand for a minute to soften chocolate and then whisk until chocolate is combined.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for a minimum of 3 hours for the custard to cool.
7. Once cool- churn as per ice cream machine instructions. Then scoop into an ice cream container and freeze.