Vanilla Bean Gelato filled with burnt sugar shard. Tastes exactly like the French iconic dessert, Creme Brulee ... just frozen!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED milk cream egg yolks sugar vanilla pod
1. Heat milk, cream and vanilla pod in saucepan over medium heat until bubbles appear on the edge of the saucepan.
2. Whilst the cream is heating, whisk eggs and sugar until pale and thickened.
3. Temper the eggs by pouring the hot milk mixture into the eggs a little bit at a time whilst whisking continuously.
4. Return the mixture to the saucepan and heat over medium heat, whilst constantly stirring until the custard thickens. Pass custard through a sieve, cover the top directly with plastic wrap, cool to room temp then refrigerate.
5. Whilst the custard is cooling, heat sugar in a saucepan on medium heat, until the sugar dissolves and turns golden. Pour on a lined baking tray and leave to cool. Then chop it into small pieces.
6. Pour chilled custard into your ice cream maker and churn as per manufacturers instructions.