This British Classic layers crunchy meringue, whipped cream and juicy strawberries for a light and refreshing dessert. Perfect for the summertime.
1. While egg whites until soft peaks form.
2.Spoon in sugar one tablespoon at a time making sure sugar is incorporated before adding the next. Then whisk for 5 more minutes.
3. Add lemon juice and cornflour and whisk until smooth, thick and shiny.
4. Spread meringue out onto lined baking tray. Bake for 1.5 hours. Then cool and break into pieces.
5. Whip cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract until soft peaks.
6. Mash half the strawberries in a shallow bowl. Add remaining chopped strawberries and icing sugar and mix.
7. Layer strawberries, cream and meringue and repeat in glasses until full. Serve immediately.